“Can I pick your brain?” used to be the most-dreaded question someone asked me.
Because, what they really meant was, “I want free marketing advice.”
I can’t count the hours I’ve lost succumbing to these requests.
Although I certainly want to help people be successful with their marketing, I also need to pay my bills…and, I already give away a lot of free marketing advice via my blog, emails, videos, social media and webinars.
I realized I had to find a way to manage these requests and convert some of them into paying clients.
So, I came up with a “pick my brain” process depending on the situation:
- Answer question on the spot in 5 minutes or less, or schedule a 15-minute call to discuss.
- Direct them to my blog or invite them to join my email list.
- Suggest they book a one-on-one Marketing Strategy Session with me to get answers and action plan specific to their business.
- Suggest they enroll in my online course to create their own marketing plan.
- Send them my monthly marketing packages for ongoing work.
By changing my mindset and approach, I now welcome the opportunities to explain all the ways I can help them market their business – both free and paid.
What about you? How do you handle “pick my brain” requests?
- What free resources or sample products do you have?
- Are they available online?
- Do you host free events?
- Do you provide a complimentary consultation or trial offer?
- Do you have a turnkey solution that delivers quick results?
- Do you offer packages or bundles for long-term and repeat customers?
If you have other suggestions, I’d love to pick your brain. :O